The following is a simple step-by-step guide for setting up and maintaining a successful Google Adsense account.
What is Google Adsense?
First of all, Google Adsense is program by Google that allows users to serve advertisements on their website using the PPC earnings method (or pay-per-click, which means you get paid every time an ad is clicked). Earnings can range anywhere from a couple cents all the way to a couple dollars. This all depends on how much the advertiser wants to pay (don’t forget, they’re paying per click).
Setting up an Account
Before you can make money and after you’ve read the Adsense Terms and Conditions; you can begin the process of creating your account.
1. Head on over to www.Google.com/Adsense and click “Sign up Now”, or if you already have a Google account, fill in the fields below that.
2. Follow the instructions and fill out the form(s). Enter your website address correctly and make sure that you enter your name as you want it to appear on the check.
3. Follow any additional instructions and wait for your account to be approved. This should take about 2-5 business days.
Working In Your New Account
Congratulations! Your account has been approved and now you can start placing ads on your site.
1. Under the Adsense Setup tab in the “My Account” section, click on “Adsense for Content” and then select “Ad Unit”. This is the most popular selection; however there are many other adsense products that you can explore and experiment with to see what’s best.
2. Now you can design your ad unit. Keep in mind that you want the ad unit to fit in with the design of your site but you don’t want it to blend so well that visitors think that it’s not an advertisement. If a visitor thinks that a link is going to be an internal link or a helpful link to another page and instead they are greeted to an advertiser’s page, then they are going to be frustrated and will probably never return. It is important to not be aggressive in placing ads as outlined in “Why You’re Not Making Money“.
3. Continuing on now and you will add a channel to help monitor your ads and also give a unique name to your ad unit.
4. Next you can copy the code and paste it into your webpage. Choose your location wisely as there are hot spots where views look the most.
Ad Reporting and Maintenance
Viewing reports on your ads is essential to raising your income. Remember that the more you track, the more you can improve upon. You can customize reporting by going to the Reports tab and selecting your preferences. Also; before you can further verify your account and enter your Social Security Number (both are required to receive payment), your income must reach a threshold of 10.00 USD for people in the United States.
Getting Paid With Ad-sense
After your reach the 10.00 USD minimum threshold for account verification you must wait again until you reach another benchmark for payment. You must meet the minimum threshold of 100.00 USD before Google sends you the check. If you don’t meet that in a single payment period (1 month), then the amounts will rollover to the next cycle, and so on. Once you meet the 100.00 USD mark, your earnings will be reviewed for “invalid click activity” and any invalid earnings will be subtracted. This is also the time when Google will first review your account for deactivation. This means that if they feel that you have been clicking on your own ads, then they will disable your account and you will only get one chance to repeal. It’s rare that an account is ever reinstated. Don’t worry; just follow the rules and you’ll be on your way to successfully making money from your content!